Rosa and I have been wanting to try these for a while, so were excited about how these pretty cakes would turn out. We weren't let down! Using a simple vanilla cupcake recipe and several food dyes, we have created the perfect party treat. We are looking forward to sitting down with this tasty treat and a Harry Potter movie later on this evening!
- 120g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼tsp vanilla extract
- 1 quantity vanilla frosting
- hundreds and thousands or other edible sprinkles, to decorate
- a 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases
- Food colourings of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3 and prepare a cupcake tray with cases.
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and beat until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
4. Seperate the mixture into several bowls and add a small amount of food colouring to each bowl (each bowl a different colour). Mix until all dye is combined.
5. Add a spoonful of each coloured batter to each case one after another, in layers.
6.Leave in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Moist, soft, sweet, and definitely vibrant, the vivid colours would cheer up anyones' day! They taste amazing but a lot of effort is involved for such simple cakes. Overall, I would reccomend these; 4/5.